ICE CAVE CLASSIC
ICE CAVE CLASSIC
- 11 hours
- Price from
- 27.990 ISK
Largest man-made Ice Cave in the world
We depart early from Reykjavík and get the crisp morning view of the Langjökull Glacier, which is our destination. Langjökull is 953 sq/km, making it the second largest glacier in the country.
You soon discover that in Iceland everything is possible – before you know it you find yourself standing on top of a vast ice-cap, ready to descend into the glacier and explore its icy netherworld.To get to the Ice Cave we ride in a specially-modified truck. The Ice Tunnel and Cave are man-made and located high up in a remote area of the glacier in the very heart of Iceland.
Your guide will then take you on an amazing journey, deep within the glacier where you can see the stunning blue-hued ice. The glacier is in a constant state of motion and here we can literally see that movement first hand. Until very recently what lay beneath the surface of Langjökull was a mystery. Sometimes with vision and determination bold ideas can become a reality. The realization of this seemingly crazy notion of boring an ice tunnel deep into the glacier only became possible through the combined efforts of the country´s top engineers and geophysicists.
The temperature inside the glacier is around freezing temperatures, 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit. Back on top of the surface of the glacier, we jump aboard to the welcome warmth of the truck. We eat lunch at the stunning Hotel Húsafell and you can choose between seeing the famous Hraunfossar waterfalls or relax in the thermalpool in the small village of Húsafell (admission included).
This is truly a day to remember.
- In bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
- 1 hour guided Ice Cave tour with necessary safety equipment
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Tour in a specially modified glacier vehicle on Langjökull Glacier.
- Waterproof one-piece suite and boots if needed. Provided by the Into the Glacier team.
- Admission to the thermal pools in Húsafell, if you choose to go.
What to bring
For the In-Bus-Audio-Guide: Bring your own headphones. Otherwise headphones are available for purchase in every bus from our hosts.
For your comfort: Since you will be entering an ice cave which is at 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit we recommend not only warm clothing, but also waterproof clothing as well. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are essential for staying warm and dry during the visit into the ice cave.
For swimming: if you decide to go swimming in the thermal swimming pool, be sure to bring a bathing suite and towel.
• Tours depart from the Reykjavik Terminal located at Skógarhlíð 10. Please be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to departure along with a printed or digital copy of your ticket/voucher.
• If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation at within the 30 minutes of pickup.
Please note that your tour will start from Reykjavik Terminal, Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavik. Please be there at least 15 minutes before your chosen departure time.
Add Pick Up & Drop Off for 990.- ISK.
FREE for children
The starting point for Reykjavik Sightseeing Tours.
Reykjavik Terminal, Skógarhlíð 10, 105 Reykjavik.